Bihar Traditional Dal Pitha Recipe- How to Make Dal Pitha.
Bihar has its own type of dumplings and its super healthy. Its a very easy dish to make and is full of protein. Filling for the recipe can be prepared in two ways : either by simply grinding the ingredients and mixing some spices into it or frying the grind ingredients along with some spices, here the preparation contains non fried filling.
Dal Pitha Recipe – How to make Bihar traditional Dal Pitha Recipe.
Ingredients to make Dal Pitha.
- 200 gms Chana Dal
- 200 gms Masoor dal
- Cumin Seeds
- Coriander leaves
- 400 gms Rice flour
- 50 gms wheat flour
- Green Chillies
Method to make the filling for dal Pitha
- Wash both the Dal nicely and soak it in water for 5-6 hours.
- Strain the excess water and add the dal in a blending jar. In the blending jar add, ginger, 7-8 garlic cloves, green chillies, cumin seeds. Grind it well and make a nice thick paste. Please don’t add water at all to make the paste.
- Take out the batter in a bowl.
Method to make the Dal Pitha Dough.
- Add 400 gms rice flour and 50 gms wheat flour. Add salt and mix it well.
- Add hot water, little at a time and knead a soft dough.
Method to Make dal Pitha
- Divide the dough into the desired number of parts and make smooth balls.
- Flatten each ball, with hands or by rolling pin, and fill the Dal mixture.
- Fold it to make semicircle shape. Work the folds with oiled hands to seal the folds.
- Steam the Pithas in a greased steamer for 30-35 minutes till the Dal filling gets cooked
- Insert a knife in Pitha to check if its cooked. Knife should come out clean.
- Take out the Pithas from the steamer and serve hot with coriander and tomato chutney.
Note – Leftover Pithas can be cut and fried and can be served with tea.